Tech Thursday: 27 Things Not to Have as Your Twitter Avatar
It’s 2011, and everyone is either on Twitter, Facebook, or both. Anyone not already using these social media networking tools will be soon, especially bloggers and mommy bloggers. It’s important that people be able to identify you from your twitter or facebook avatar or icon. Why? A lot of people share common names, and you sure don’t want to be talking to someone you thought was someone else.
This brings us to a critical point of advice: there are certain things you should NEVER use as your facebook or twitter avatar. We’ve put together the 27 worst twitter avatars. I’m pretty sure people talking to you online or even having to see your updates in their social media streams would not find these avatars helpful to identifying you.
To all the professional bloggers and social media consultants out there – please remember that you will want to meet your online friends in real life at blog conferences, social media meet-ups, tweet-ups, etc. Make sure people can recognize your face by using it online! The best thing to use (even better than your company logo) is a picture of your own stunning face – in focus and smiling!
We’ve combed twitter for examples of the 27 WORST possible avatars to compile this helpful, but scary, list of what people are capable of for avatar crimes.
Thanks to my husband’s pleading, I did not include links to every offender below (yes, these are all real avatars). A few of them with links were just too good not to show. Do you have more offending twitter avatars that people should never use? List them / link them in the comments below!
The Top 27 Worst Twitter and Facebook Avatars
1. Pic of your butt. How can I recognize you in real life from a photo of your behind?
2. Pic of your boobs. You may think they’re real and they’re spectacular, but again – see #1 above.
3. Pic of you shirtless. I doubt there’s really been a time when you really didn’t have 2 seconds to put on a shirt before asking someone to take your profile photo. Please – no one wants to see man-boobs.
4. Pic of you with your grandma. The key problem with this avatar is that most people won’t know which one is you: the grandma or the non-grandma.
5. Pic of only your baby or kid. You may have a beautiful child, but it’s you talking to other adults on your own account, remember?
6. Pic of Justin Bieber. I know half the world has Bieber fever, but the Biebs is the only one that should have his picture as their avatar.
7. Photo of you wearing a hat that says, “I’m #1”. Really, it’s like I tell my daughter, “If you have to tell people you’re #1 one, you’re probably not.” And where did you get that hat in the first place?!
8. Pic of you in pain. Are you okay? Why would you want to share this injury with the world?
9. Pic of only your pants. That’s right, pants only. Not even on a person- just pants. I don’t get it.
10. Pic of a samurai cartoon. Is your life long dream to become a samurai? Or a cartoon, perhaps? Why not a pic of you dressed up as a samurai? That’s a happy medium.
11. Pic of you making a fist. There ought to be a law about 3rd degree assault on twitter by means of threatening fist pictures.
12. Pic with only half of your head. Is this your good side?
13. Pic of you lying dead on the floor with a word bubble coming out of your mouth. There are really no words to even heckle this avatar with.
14. Twitter default avatar. Nothing says, “lazy, noob, spammer, or witness protection program” like using the default twitter avatar of the not-so-attractive egg.
15. Pic of your cat hissing. or any LOL Catz for that matter. I’m just saying.
16. Pic of you making a mad face while aiming a camera down your shirt. From my understanding, this must have been a hard shot to capture, including the use of many mirrors and a contortionist body to get the camera, the face, and the inside of the shirt into the finished product.
17. Animated gif of you rubbing your butt. No comment.
18. Pic of a baseball card (unless it is you ON the baseball card).
19. Pic of your chihuahua wearing a pink tutu.
20. Pic of you hiding behind your own hand. You did choose this picture, right? The best one you have is where you were hiding from some unkind paparazzi snapping your photo?
21. Pic of your knee. Umm, why?
22. A xeroxed pic of your face. I guess in a pinch, if no one even has a smart phone with a camera in it, the Xerox machine would make a replica of your face (minus the smooshed against the glass part). Of course, I doubt that was the case.
23. Pic of the sky covered in question marks.
24. Pic of your breakfast. It’s rude to make the social media world hungry every time you talk , you know? And no company can take you seriously when you complain about their customer service on twitter while your photo is a plate of huevos rancheros.
25. Pic of your cat scan or X-ray. I don’t need to see this much of you, honestly.
27. The initials BM, even if those are the initials of your business name.
I know we’ve barely scratched the surface! Which offending avatars have you seen? Leave them below in the comments! Top 27 Worst Twitter and Facebook Avatars is linked to Works for Me Wednesday.