Nessa is a full time wife and mother of two, living the small town life in rural Texas. She loves cooking everything from tried and true recipes to her own wonderful creations. Catch her blogging at Ramblings of a Texas Housewife and on Twitter @Nessa_TX.
This is one of my husband’s favorite recipes. His Granny made this for years and his entire family loves it.
I posted the recipe on Recipezaar, so I would never lose it, because it took me quite a few tries to get it it right. We serve this with crackers and a green salad. I hope your family enjoys it as much as my bunch does.
View the complete recipe here: Taco Casserole Recipe aka Tex Mex Mess. The recipe is pretty straight forward.
- You brown ground beef and garlic until done.
- Next run the can of Ranch Style beans through the food processor until they reach a paste like consistency. Then mix into ground beef.
- The recipe says to soften the corn tortillas in the reserved meat grease, but I usually soften them in a bit of vegetable oil in a small frying pan.
- Once your grease is hot, it takes no more than five seconds per side to get the tortillas soft. Be sure you blot each tortilla well with paper towels to remove excess grease.
- Also, be sure to grease the pan thoroughly or spray with nonstick cooking spray. This will stick and be a pain to clean otherwise.
- Then you fill the tortilla shells with the meat and bean mixture.
- Next cover with soup & water mixture. My advice is to reserve a bit of the soup mixture to layer on top of the Velveeta. It helps keep the Velveeta from getting too brown.
- The layer of lettuce comes next.
- Top this with the thinly sliced Velveeta. Top this with remaining soup mixture.
- Then into the oven it goes.
- Check it after 20 minutes, as the Velveeta will brown quite quickly and you do not want it to burn. All you really need to do is heat it through and melt the cheese.
That’s it! I hope you enjoy it!
Did you like this In the Kitchen with Nessa article? Stay tuned next Monday for Nessa’s new column, Out of the Box Lunch Ideas.