Nessa is a full time wife and mother of two, living the small town life in rural Texas. She loves cooking everything from tried and true recipes to her own wonderful creations. Catch her blogging at Ramblings of a Texas Housewife and on Twitter @Nessa_TX.
For the longest time I was afraid to fry chicken. I thought it was too complicated and that I would mess it up. Once I finally gave it a try, I was pleasantly surprised by how easy it actually was. The key is timing your cooking and keeping a lid on your frying pan.
This is my basic recipe for how to fry chicken. You can change the seasonings around to suit your own taste. Serve with mashed potatoes, gravy, and any of your favorite side dishes. This is one of our favorite Sunday dinners.
Recipe for Fried Chicken
- 1 cut up fryer about 3 to 4 pounds
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoons pepper
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 egg
- vegetable oil
1. Wash chicken pieces and pat dry.
2. Pour about an inch of vegetable oil in a large frying pan and start warming on medium heat.
3. In a large bowl, add milk and egg, then whisk until well blended.
4. In a separate bowl, mix flour and spices.
5. Dip chicken in milk wash, then into flour mixture, coating well.
6. Then dip quickly back into milk, then into flour mixture again, so that each piece of chicken has been double battered. This makes for a nice crust on your chicken.
7. Place your chicken into the hot frying pan. Do not pack it too close together, instead use two pans if you need more space.
8. Cover pan and cook for 15 minutes.
9. Turn chicken over and cook for an additional 15 minutes.
10. Turn the heat down slightly, to a low medium, turn chicken and cook an additional 15 minutes.
11. Make sure you have a lid on the chicken during the entire cooking process.
12. Drain chicken on a plate lined with paper towels and serve.
You can now easily make gravy with the drippings. Just be sure to drain out all the excess grease. This is great served immediately after cooking or packed cold for a picnic lunch.
Did you like this In the Kitchen with Nessa article? Check out Cooking Chicken Outdoors. Make sure you subscribe to our free updates so you don’t miss any of her great kitchen how to articles!
Find more cooking articles at Tasty Tuesday, Tempt my Tummy Tuesdays, and Homemaker Mondays.