Recipe: Hubby’s Best Mac and Cheese
This homemade macaroni and cheese recipe makes a favorite creamy dish of traditional American comfort food for kids and parents alike. Hubby’s Best Mac and Cheese recipe is an exclusive Home Ever After recipe crafted by Michael Simmons.
You’ll notice that the ingredients call for an optional ingredient of green chilies, which allow you to leave the kids portions non-spicy, and spice up the parents’ portions to taste.
“While the additional ingredients such as green chilies and Spam are optional to taste, the important thing to remember while making this dish is not to overcook the pasta. Do this right and you’ll never make mac & cheese from the blue box again!” Michael says.
While you’re here, get more tasty frugal recipes, weekly menu plans with printable recipes, and even kitchen tips to make your life easier in our Food Department. Of course you’ll also want to get our free updates so you don’t miss any kitchen goodies!
- 4 cups raw macaroni
- 4 cups shredded medium cheddar
- 1 cup cottage cheese, processed
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1 cup of ham, cubed or 1 can of Spam, cubed
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- (optional) 1 can of green chilies
1. Preheat the oven to 400°.
2. In a medium saucepan, boil macaroni for 5 minutes only. Pasta will still be somewhat hard, which allows it extra time to bake without being overcooked.
2. In a 9 inch round glass baking dish, mix the following ingredients: cooked macaroni, cottage cheese, ham or Spam, 3 cups of shredded cheddar cheese, and evaporated milk.
3. Sprinkle the remaining 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese over the top of the mixture, then sprinkle with the chili powder.
4. Bake uncovered at 400° for 20 minutes.
5. Cool and serve. If desired, mix in green chilies until desired spiciness is achieved.