Recipe: Enchilada Egg Bake with Fresh Salsa Verde Sour Cream
Melty, cheesy and hard to resist, this egg bake gets its pop of heat from a jalapeño pepper. The perfect main course for your holiday brunch this year, the Enchilada Egg Bake with Fresh Salsa Verde Sour Cream recipe was created for Home Ever After readers by the talented chefs at Kraft Foods.
Prep Time: 30 min. | Bake Time: 20 min. | Total Time: 50 min. | Makes: 6 servings.
- 8 small tomatillos (about 3/4 lb.), husks removed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup water, divided
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded, cut into quarters
- 1 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves, divided
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2/3 cup finely chopped onions, divided
- 1/4 lb. chorizo
- 1 doz. eggs, beaten
- 6 oz. Velveeta cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes, divided
- 12 corn tortillas (6 inch), warmed
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- Heat oven to 350ºF.
- Cook and stir tomatillos and garlic in large nonstick skillet on medium-high heat 4 min. or until tomatillos are evenly browned.
- Add 1/2 cup water; cover.
- Cook 5 min. or until tomatillos are softened and water is evaporated; transfer to blender.
- Add remaining water, peppers, half the cilantro and salt; blend until smooth.
- Stir in 1/3 cup onions.
- Cook chorizo in same skillet on medium heat 4 to 5 min. or until done; drain.
- Stir in eggs; cook 2 min. or just until eggs begin to set, stirring occasionally.
- Gently stir in half the Velveeta.
- Spread 3/4 cup tomatillo sauce onto bottom of 13×9-inch baking dish sprayed with cooking spray.
- Spoon about 1/3 cup egg mixture down center of each tortilla; roll up.
- Place, seam-sides down, in dish.
- Top with remaining Velveeta and tomatillo sauce.
- Bake 20 min. or until enchiladas are heated through and Velveeta is melted.
- Finely chop remaining cilantro.
- Serve enchiladas topped with sour cream, remaining onions and cilantro.
- Prepare using flour tortillas.
- Save 30 calories and 4 grams of fat per serving by preparing with Velveeta Light and Breakstones Reduced Fat or Knudsen Light Sour Cream.
Nutrition Information Per Serving (Velveeta and regular sour cream): 450 calories, 25g total fat, 11g saturated fat, 465mg cholesterol, 910mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate, 5g dietary fiber, 6g sugars, 24g protein, 30% DV vitamin A, 10% DV vitamin C, 35% DV calcium, 20% DV iron.
Nutrition Information Per Serving (Velveeta light and reduced fat sour cream): 420 calories, 21g total fat, 8g saturated fat, 455mg cholesterol, 930mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate, 5g dietary fiber, 7g sugars, 25g protein, 30% DV vitamin A, 10% DV vitamin C, 30% DV calcium, 20% DV iron.
Don’t miss any of our delicious recipes.
Get them sent to you for free now!