Nessa is a full time wife and mother of two, living the small town life in rural Texas. She loves cooking everything from tried and true recipes to her own wonderful creations. Find more of her wonderful recipes on What’s Cookin’ and catch her on Twitter @Nessa_TX.
Quick and Easy Dinner Recipes
These two recipes, cheesy Italian chops and quick and easy gumbo, help make an easy week night meal that is a cinch to put together! It can be made in thirty minutes and is so simple that even the newest of cooks can easily make this for the family.
We added two premade, store bought side dishes caught on clearance sale, but any of your family’s favorite sides will round the meal out nicely.
Cheesy Italian Chops
- 4 thick cut, boneless pork chops
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup Mozzarella cheese
- 2 slices of bread, dry toasted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place 3 tablespoons butter on shallow baking pan and let melt in the oven while it preheats.
- Place cheeses, Italian seasoning, and toasted bread that has been torn into pieces into a food processor or blender. Pulse to make finely ground bread crumbs.
- Wash pork chops off, then dip in breadcrumbs, turning to coat well. Make sure both sides are thoroughly coated.
- Place coated chops in melted butter on baking pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until chops reach an internal temperature of 160 degrees F.
Quick and Easy Gumbo
- 1 16oz bag frozen okra
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt & pepper to taste
- Mix all ingredients in a small saucepan.
- Add water until it just reaches the top of the vegetables.
- Cook on high heat until mixture begins to boil, then reduce heat to simmer.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, or until okra reaches desired doneness.
Read Nessa’s next column, Frugal Cooking with Fresh Produce.