Nessa is a full time wife and mother of two, living the small town life in rural Texas. She loves cooking everything from tried and true recipes to her own wonderful creations. Catch her blogging at Ramblings of a Texas Housewife and on Twitter @Nessa_TX.
Jack Be Nimble Salad Recipe
Jack Be Nimble Salad is a variation of a classic salad that kids love to build! It looks like a candle stick when put together. Pack all the components separately, include a Popsicle stick to spread the peanut butter, and let the kids create at the lunch table.
Jack Be Nimble Salad
one lettuce leaf
one cheese slice
one slice of lunch meat
2 pineapple rings
1/2 a banana
about a tablespoon of peanut butter
a maraschino cherry
1. Start by layering the lettuce, meat, and cheese on a flat surface. A sandwich sized plastic container works great for this.
2. Drain the pineapple juice and save the juice in a separate container.
3. Place two pineapple rings on top of each other on the lettuce, meat, and cheese layer.
4. Peel a banana, cut in half, and place the cut end down into the pineapple rings. The rings are your “candle holder” and the banana the “candle”.
5. Top the banana with peanut butter; this is the melted wax on the end of the candle.
6. Place half a maraschino cherry on top for the flame.
7. Reserve drained pineapple and cherry juice, then mix together. This juice can be frozen in ice cube trays to make juice cubes. Add one or two juice cubes to a bottle of regular water to make your own fruit flavored water. It tastes great and is much less expensive than store bought flavored waters.
That’s all there is to it. A meal in one that kids get to build. Kids seem to enjoy the hands on prep with this meal.
Did you like this In the Kitchen with Nessa article? Stay tuned next Monday for Nessa’s new column, Out of the Box Lunch Ideas. Find more cooking articles at Tasty Tuesday, Tempt my Tummy Tuesdays, and Homemaker Mondays.