It’s a new day and you want to make the most of it. For some people (including me), morning is the hardest time of day because I’m not naturally a morning person. Are you a night owl too? Never fear! You can still have a wonderful morning by following my 19 tips to embrace the new day when you’re not a morning person.
Plus, I know one thing that will improve your mornings: winning the Carefree® Freshness Challenge daily prize of a $100 gift card for a new coffee maker! Keep reading to find out how to win a new coffee maker and a new $5,000 wardrobe from Carefree®.
19 Tips to Embrace the New Day and Have a Great Morning
1. Wake up in a good mood. This sounds easy enough, but there are a lot of factors that go into waking up happy. Tips 2,3 and 4 below are a few that contribute to waking up chipper and ready to embrace the day!
2. Get enough sleep by going to bed on time. Adults still need 8-10 hours of sleep, and finding your optimal snooze time will depend on your activity level during the day.
3. Don’t sleep on an argument. If you’re grumpy with your kids or arguing with your spouse, apologize and work it out before you go to sleep so you can let go of the stress of unresolved issues.
I tell my kids that going to bed with madness in their hearts will make it turn into black licorice! So that’s not literally true, but the principle is. Holding stress inside will manifest itself in your body and your life. Make amends before you drift off to dream land.
4. Sleep on a comfy pillow. Too fluffy or too flat can cause you to wake up with a sore neck. Make sure your pillow thickness and firmness is just right.
5. Wake up energized. Set your alarm to play a high-energy dance song that makes you hop out of bed and want to get your groove on!
I used to wake up every morning to “Get Right” by Jennifer Lopez because the beat of the song made me jump out of the covers and shake it all the way to the bathroom. I opened my eyes every morning with an energetic outlook on the day. Find a song that inspires that “move-it” attitude for you.
6. Leave enough time to get ready without rushing. An extra 15 minutes can make all the difference between a busy morning when you’re always behind and a nice morning when you don’t have to constantly watch the clock. How can you make sure you have enough time in the morning? By using tip 7, of course!
7. Do your prep work the night before. The night before can be your secret weapon to a stress-free morning. Pack lunches, sign permission slips, pick out your outfit (including shoes, socks, bra, panties, and jewelry), pack your purse or work bag, even write down your appointments, meetings, and to do list in your planner.
The more you can do the night before to avoid running out of time in the morning, the better.
8. Always get dressed, even if you’re not leaving the house. This tip is key to embracing the new day! Even if I’m working from home, I still put on a complete work outfit (even accessories) to put me in a productive mindset. If my reflection looks like my work self, then my mind thinks like my work self. Which leads up to tip 9…
9. Always do your hair and makeup. Even if you’re short on time, you can quickly comb your hair into a high ponytail or put on a pretty headband to hold your hair back. There are also plenty of double-duty beauty products like BB creams that cut your skin care and makeup time in half. Don’t pass on at least a foundation with sunscreen, mascara and lip gloss to have you looking put together and feeling confident.
10. Make your top 5 list. My holy grail secret of productivity is my top 5 list. Every morning I make a list of the 5 most important things I want to accomplish that day. It helps keep my mind focused on my priorities so that I don’t get distracted by things that come up throughout the day.
Plus, making a top 5 list can have you looking forward to the morning as a way to jump in and get those intentional goals knocked out and crossed off!
If You’re SO Tired You Can Barely Wake Up
11. Keep your contact solution or eye drops in the refrigerator. A chilly drop in the eye is refreshing and will get you alert in a snap.
12. Splash your face with cold water. Or, if you’re desperate…
13. Jump in a cold shower. A few seconds under the icy water will jolt you awake!
14. Step outside and run one lap around your house. From front door to back door and back to the front, a quick change of temperature, speed and environment will wake you up right away. The fresh air will feel great and you’ll be energized to get your morning started.
15. Hide the puffy under-eyes. Wear de-puffing eye patches under your eyes on your commute to work or while you make breakfast.
16. Camouflage the tired eyes with white liner. Use a white eyeliner to line your lower lashes to give you the illusion of being well-rested.
What to Do When You Wake Up in a Bad Mood
17. Take a selfie of you hugging your child or kissing your spouse and set it as your lock screen. This way, every time you look at your cell phone, you’ll see something that makes you feel happy. What an easy way to boost out of a bad mood!
18. Give yourself an extra treat, like a special coffee. When I’m exhausted and have to get up super early, I make a stop by the Starbucks drive-thru for a grande caramel mocha. Since this is a treat for me, it instantly lifts my bad mood.
19. Press play on your favorite funny movie or TV show while you get ready. Laughing can zap your grumpiness and lift your spirits quickly.
Set your phone or tablet to stream one of your go-to laugh inducers (for me it’s The Big Bang Theory) and set it on the counter while you put on makeup, brush your teeth, or make breakfast.
The 30 Day Carefree® Freshness Challenge
Carefree® is helping us all develop healthy habits with the Carefree® Freshness Challenge. They want you to feel confident and ready to take on the world, which is why they make the amazing line of Carefree® Acti-Fresh panty liners to keep you protected and fresh while you’re on the go.
Commit to the Carefree® Freshness Challenge and get 30 days of tips on how to keep all areas of your life fresh.
Remember that nice new coffee maker we were talking about earlier to help you embrace the new day? Enter to win a $100 gift card for a new coffee maker from Carefree®. On top of the daily prizes, 1 grand prize winner will receive $5,000 for a fresh new wardrobe!
Here’s how to enter:
- Go to the Carefree® Freshness Challenge page.
- Enter your contact information in the entry form on the right hand side.
Here are the #CarefreeChallenge official rules. Good luck!
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post written by Danelle Ice for Carefree®. Danelle was compensated for writing this post, but her opinions are her own. The Carefree® Challenge contest and giveaway is being held and administered by Carefree®. See their site for official rules.