Home DIYs, also known as do-it-yourself projects, are essentials that every homemaker should know how to do. Not only does being self-sufficient give you a good feeling from knowing that you can take care of your home’s preventive maintenance as well as being able to fix problems should an emergency arise, but DIYs also have an added financial bonus. Acquiring this valuable knowledge and doing the project yourself means that you won’t have to pay expensive fees to a professional or a repairman.
So fire up your printer, because you’ll want to print out these useful home how-to guides and save them for later!
14 Home How-To DIYs That Every Homemaker Needs To Know
1. How to fix a garbage disposal. From jams caused by items falling into the garbage disposal to simple clogged pipes, this how-to will show you how to fix your own garbage disposal in no time.
2. How to eliminate rats in your home. Learn why they chose your house, how they got inside, how to catch them, how dispose of the rats after they have been caught, and how to help prevent your house from being reinfested in the future.
3. How to reset a circuit breaker. This great how-to explains how to tell if your fuse is blown, why it happened, and how to fix it.
4. How to unclog a sink. Cheap and green, this how-to uses safe household ingredients.
5. How to remove rust stains from nails. Whether indoors or outdoors, it’s easy to remove rust stains from nails with common household materials before painting over them.
6. How to unfreeze pipes. This complete set of of instructions from the Red Cross should be printed out and hung on the wall next to pipes that are possible problem areas for easy access during an emergency.
7. How to fix a toilet. This how-to guide addresses common toilet problems such as plugged up toilets, overflowing toilets, water that keeps running, water levels too high, and even tells you how to replace a toilet seat.
8. How to change a light bulb. The owner of a home renovation company teaches you a safe and effective way to change a light bulb in this how-to video.
10. How to clean a dryer vent. Being able to clean your dryer vent properly will help you to eliminate the risk of fire started from your dryer.
11. How to clean an air filter. Not only will a clean air filter improve the quality of the air in your home, but it will also help you save money on your utility bills.
12. How to clean out a fireplace. This DIY only includes directions on how to clean the fireplace, not the chimney (which is a much more involved process).