In our country’s state of financial uncertainty, it’s hard to imagine our states’ governments shutting down. What if the money to operate our states just isn’t there anymore? On a state-by-state basis, state workers have been facing spending freezes and potential layoffs.
So what happens if your state government shuts down? CNN Money talks about it here:
“State budgets are so squeezed that some governors are threatening to shut down state operations if lawmakers can’t address massive spending shortfalls. States are facing shutdowns because of the dismal condition of their finances.
Governors and lawmakers have been reluctant to make deep and unappealing cuts, particularly to education, health and social services, but have also been loathe to raise taxes.”
-Read the rest of What happens if your state government shuts down?
What to Do if You are a State Worker Facing Layoff
No amount of great job performance can counteract the funding for your job not being available anymore. If you can’t be paid, you don’t have a job – plain and simple. It won’t matter if you’re the best worker in the office, you’ll be looking for a new job.
There are some important steps you can take now if you’re afraid that your state government may be shutting down and your job may be in jeopardy.
1. Prepare to look for a job in the public sector.
- Education: Go back to school, take college classes to refresh your skills, or get certifications that will help you get a new job.
- Resume: Update your resume with any skills you have that might give you an edge over other applicants.
- Recommendation: Get letters of recommendation from managers, supervisors, and coworkers.
2. Get your finances in order.
- Emergency Fund: If you don’t have an emergency fund in place already, put one together as fast as possible. Make sure you stash enough to cover living expenses for 6-9 months, in the event you can’t find a new job before then.
- Get Frugal: Cut out the frills and spending on non-essentials. Transform Yourself from a Money Waster into a Money Saver – A Complete Frugal Makeover