Kitchen Tip: Make Ready-to-Use Frozen Pie Fillings From Scratch
Today’s kitchen tip will show you how to make fruit pie fillings from scratch that are frozen, space-saving, and ready to be used as needed.
If you’ve ever found a really good sale in the produce section, you know how tempting it can be to stock up. Apples, raspberries, as well as many other fruits and berries, make fantastic pie fillings but can be tricky to use up before they go bad. This especially holds true when purchased in large quantity.
The steps below are really quite easy, and you can make as many pie fillings as you need without using a lot of space in your freezer (these frozen pie fillings will stack inside each other to save space).
To Make the Frozen Pie Fillings:
1. Using your favorite fruits and/or berries, make the pie filling from your ingredients as you normally would.
2. Get out a pie plate and roll of plastic food wrap.
3. Cut a section of plastic wrap long enough to completely line the pie plate and have extra hanging off both sides that will double over and seal the top as well.
4. Center the plastic wrap in the pie plate and press it in to conform to the shape of the glass or metal.
5. Pretending that the plastic wrap is actually the bottom of your pie crust, pour your pie filling into the pan just as you would when making the actual pie.
6. Leaving the top of the pie unwrapped, place the pan in the freezer until the fruit mixture has frozen solid (usually a couple of hours).
7. Once the fruit pie filling is completely frozen, take the pan out of the freezer.
8. Using the extra plastic wrap hanging off the sides of the pan, lift the frozen filling up and out of the pan.
9. Set the filling down on the counter. Completely cover the top of the filling with the extra plastic wrap that is hanging over the sides. The goal is to make sure that the fruit filling is completely sealed to protect it while in the freezer.
10. Place the frozen, plastic-wrapped pie filling into the freezer to be used when needed. Repeat this process for as many pie fillings as you need to make. All the frozen fillings will stack into each other in one tall tower, saving you tons of freezer space.
To Use the Frozen Pie Fillings:
1. When ready to bake a pie, make a pie crust as you normally would.
2. Line the bottom of a pie pan with the bottom crust.
3. Remove a frozen ready-to-use fruit filling from the freezer. Unwrap completely and discard the plastic wrap.
4. Place the frozen filling into the pie pan on top of the crust.
5. Continue making pie by adding the top crust and finishing the edges.
6. Bake according to your regular recipe, but keep in mind that cooking time may have to be adjusted to compensate for the fruit being frozen. An easy way around this is to let the uncooked pie sit out until the fruit has defrosted before baking.
7. Cool, serve, and enjoy!
Originally published February 16, 2009.