Declutter Your Closet: Why is it So Hard to Let Go of Clothes?
How to Declutter Your Closet
Why is it So Hard to Let Go of Clothes?
Those memories may be in our minds, and they may be attached to those clothes, but if that attachment isn’t serving us then it’s time to move on. Be in control of your life! Start with your closet!
You have the photos from your sister’s wedding; giving up the dress won’t make you forget the special day.
You have photos from your Disney vacation; you don’t need the souvenir t-shirts.
You have the sentiment that someone thought about you and gave you a gift from the heart, but even they wouldn’t want you to keep something just because you feel obligated.
Too small clothes? It’s time to face the facts: you’re not that size anymore. If you become that small size in the future, celebrate by buying new clothes that are in style (not retro from your old skinny days!).
Whatever your reason, it’s time to let go of it. If you must have the clothing memory, take photos of the items before you purge them. Print out the decluttering criteria for clothes (don’t forget to print clothes decluttering part 2 also) and go to the closet to get started.
1. Repeat the mantra: “The only clothes that belong in my closet are clothes I wear that make me look and feel great.”
2. Take a deep breath, and put the bad clothes in a bag to donate.
3. Put the bag in your car without a second thought.
4. Feel the burden lift as you let go of attachments and items that don’t enrich your life.
5. Feel good to be in control and choose to be clutter free!
Remember: Be in control of your life, your decisions, your closet, and your clothes!