Nessa is a full time wife and mother of two, living the small town life in rural Texas. She loves cooking everything from tried and true recipes to her own wonderful creations. Catch her blogging at Ramblings of a Texas Housewife and on Twitter @Nessa_TX.
The only time my family gets to sit down and have breakfast together is during the weekend. Week day mornings are just too hectic. So, on Saturday morning, we all look forward to a large breakfast or brunch, depending on when everyone wakes up.
The following menu is one of our favorites. The main dish is a filling entree that everyone loves. Pair it with the creamy orange beverage and you have a breakfast winner!
Cowboy Brunch Recipe
This is excellent topped with salsa and served with sliced avocado. A fruit salad is a great accompaniment as well.
- 6 strips bacon or 1/2 lb. breakfast sausage
- 4 large potatoes, diced
- 3/4 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 6 medium eggs
- 1/2 cup of your favorite shredded cheese
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp. If using sausage, cook until well done.
- Remove bacon, crumble, and set aside.
- Drain skillet, reserving about 2 Tablespoons of drippings.
- Add potatoes, green pepper, onion, salt, and pepper to the drippings in the skillet.
- Cook and stir for two minutes, then cover and cook, stirring occasionally until the potatoes are tender and beginning to brown. This should take 15 minutes or so.
- Make six wells in the potato mixture.
- Break one egg into each of the wells, then cover and reduce heat to low, cooking for 10 minutes or until the eggs are completely set.
- Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle with cheese and bacon or sausage before serving.
A variation on serving this dish is to stir it really well once the eggs are set, then serve on warm tortillas as breakfast burritos.
Toast or Biscuits
Orange Delight Recipe
A favorite breakfast beverage around here. This recipe makes between 4 to 6 servings.
- 6oz. can frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 10 to 12 ice cubes
- 1 tsp. vanilla
Directions: Add all ingredients to blender and blend until creamy and smooth.